Technology at Blackwell:
Every day teachers and students utilize many technology tools such as Activboards, Activotes, document cameras, and digital cameras, We have a variety of programs that support individual and collaborative student learning. Intermediate students also have the ability to store information under their own profile and use their own district email account. Technology is integrated into teaching and learning based on six basic standards. (ISTE)
1. Creativity and Innovation
2. Communication and Collaboration
3. Research and Information Fluency
4. Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
5. Digital Citizenship
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
Online Programs and Software Utilized:
- STAR Reading - Determines the reading level of each student, measures individual and class growth.
- Accelerated Reader - Personalized reading practice to each student's current reading level.
- Type to Learn - Emphasizes both accuracy and words per minute speed.
- Destiny - Online Library Catalog allows students to browse our library collection via the Internet.
- Online Databases - LWSD provides databases for students to find accurate, appropriate information.
- Headsprout - K-2 supplemental, online program that promotes reading success for every child.
- Microsoft Office - Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- IXL - Some classrooms utilize IXL for individual math practice.
Computers/Netbooks:Students K-2 have access on a 3:1 ratio and students in third and fourth grades have access on a 2:1 ratio. Fifth grade students have a 1:1 ratio to accommodate the challenge of moving the devices between portables. There are additional laptops available to students in the library and with special services.
- Accelerated Reader at Blackwell
- Blackwell Library Catalog Destiny program allows searching our library from the Internet.
- Cergos Computer Ergonomics is about things that you can do to make working on a computer more comfortable and better for your body.
- Healthy Computing For Kids Information about four common areas of injuries - computer use, backpacks, gaming devices, and mobile devices.
- LWSD Technology Equipped Classrooms State of the art technology hardware and software is available in all classrooms.
- Online Databases Databases that are useful and appropriate for elementary school students.
- Student Email (4th-5th) Intermediate students have access to LWSD email accounts. Internet acceptable use policies must be followed.
- Technology Standards Educational Technology standards for Washington State schools were released by OSPI in December of 2008.