Battle of the Books
This is an optional program sponsored by LWSD Library teachers that is offered to intermediate students, to promote enjoyment in reading quality literature.
Books are chosen by the LWSD Elementary Librarians based on current award nominees, professional reviews, and student interest. Each June, the list is listed for the upcoming school year. Students are responsible for creating their teams, submitting their registration form, and devising a strategy. In general, the more members of a team that have read a book, the more likely someone will remember the details of the question. Teams that have done well have read early, read often, and re-read books!
Teams participate in a tournament during lunch receses, in the library. The librarian will moderate all battles. This year we had 20 teams of 4th and 5th.The final District battles are between the west and the east. Two great teams go head-to-head and it is always a close one. It comes down to the last question.
- Teams shall consist of no more than four members, grades 4 - 5.
- Students may be from different classes as long as they have a common lunch recess.
- One team member shall be designated as the "Spokesperson" who will be responsible for reporting the teams' answer. The team may talk amongst themselves to come up with the answer.
- Each team will be given 30 seconds to write down the title of the book and turn it in to the scoring table. Questions will be read twice, only.
- The title must be exact. Teams may not have a list of the titles during the battle.
- The moderator's decision will be final in the case of any team answer, which may be questionable.
- The two teams with the lowest score each day will have a "loss" counted against them. Teams play every day unless they have two losses and have been eliminated.
District Battle Scoring
- 2 points for a correct answer to a new question.
- 1 point for "stealing" an answer to a missed question by another team.